Monday, November 28, 2011

Friendships and the Gifts we give Ourselves - Part 1

Well hellooooooooo! How was your Thanksgiving? Yummy and good I hope! Mine? Well let me tell ya. It was FABULOUS!!!

While many people have lots of friends on Facebook, it just doesn't come close in comparison to the friends you meet through blogging. These friends are true kindred spirits. Needless to say, when I learned that a blogging friend, not to mention one of my most favorite artists was going to be at a show only 3 1/2 hours away, I knew I had to make the trip to meet her!

So on Saturday morning, David and I hopped into the Bunnymobile (what I call my Honda CRV) and made the trip to Virginia Beach. I could hardly wait to get there and meet...


Jeri Landers of Hopalong Hollow!!! OH...MY....GOSH!!!!  Not only am I a huge fan of her art, but I simply adore her blog as well. Jeri is a critter lover and such a wonderful storyteller. She weaves her stories and her art together in the most charming way!

My first order of business, after I got done hugging her, was to purchase her book. There are certain gifts that I like to purchase for myself and, as many of you know, art is one of them.


This is the inside cover. Jeri creates the most incredible paper cuttings. She showed me how she starts out her sketch on parchment paper and then how she begins cutting out all the little tiny details. Beautiful!

Here Jeri is getting ready to sign my book while her wonderful husband, James, packs up all my other goodies. More on those in a minute.

You see the look on my face as she's signing my book? I'm totally about to burst with excitement. Meanwhile, David's thinking to himself,  I hope she doesn't do the happy bunny dance in front of all these people and embarrass me! It was totally hard, but I maintained composure until I got to the car and then jumped around and did the bunny happy dance. hee,hee,hee.

Here's what she wrote.

Of course, there we lots of other goodies too! It was so hard to choose! I knew I wanted a few of her cards, so I selected these.




Then I just had to have this print! I'm going to get a frame for it today as I have the perfect spot to hang it.

Look at all the wonderful details!




Finally, I simply had to have one of her original paper cuttings! It was sooooooo hard to choose, but I decided that Tea Time would be mine. I love how the trees look and the quilt hanging on the line. Isn't the frame cool too? It's made from leaves!

Then, wouldn't ya know it, but the fire alarm went off and the entire building had to be evacuated!! Hundreds of people and not to mention over 400 artisans had to clear the building until the fire department said it was OK to go back in. All was fine and I hopped back in to do more shopping.

While we waited outside, I gathered to have a picture made with Jeri and another dear blogging friend, Sharon of Corgi's in my Garden. Sharon loves Jeri's work and blog and she too made a long drive just to meet her! I met Sharon in person this past Spring when she happened to be visiting my little town.

Sharon, Jeri and Me. Amazing that these are two people I would never have met if it weren't for blogging. I drove back home with a smile on my face and thought about friendships and the gifts we give ourselves. Oh how I love blog land!


So hop over and visit Jeri at the Hollow. Tell her the bunnies and I say hi! Then be sure and join me back here on Wednesday for Part 2 of this story and a fun little contest. Why yes, there will be a prize!

xx, Michelle and the Bunnies

34 comments:

Christina said...

That is just wonderful Shell. I will go and visit her blog for sure. How much fun it is to meet a blogger friend in person.

MelMel said...

She is a modern day Molly Brett...love her work!x

Jade said...

Lovely artwork! Just the thought of cutting all those tiny pieces of paper makes my head swim, I so envy people who can work in that kind of meticulous detail. Love the colors as well. I would have been *squee*-ing all over the place.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

It's Official. I'M JEALOUS! Green with envy, I tell ya! You, Sharon and Jeri. YOU AND SHARON!!! I'm going to go lie down now. (Love all the goodies you got!) GIRLS DAY OUT? (I don't feel too well.)lol
Hope you have a wonderful week...
sigh
xoxo
Donna

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Michelle, those prints are gorgeous. What a talented lady!!! Then you mentioned Sharon and her blog, too and I thought that this MUST be someone that Donna knows- well I did see the word Corgis- LOL. Sandy. :)

Allie said...

Oh...my....goodness.....she is AMAZING. I'm seriously in love with her paper cuttings and her art. The detail! The whimsy! I would have driven to see her too!

Crafty Green Poet said...

what lovely art work, all those happy bunnies!

Christine M said...

What beautiful art work. I love your Tea Time picture.

Sheila said...

Beautiful art work, I especially love the cutwork detail incredible.

Jeanette said...

Wow Shell. Lot's of yummy goodies there. The cutwork is fabulous. Looks like you had a fabulous time. Hugs,

Faye said...

How wonderful!! I loved your sharing this story and look at the detail in her work! Oh my!~~~ It is absolutely beautiful...I am headed to check her out and the Corgi site too~~~

jerilanders said...

Shell, Shell! It was so great to meet you in person. You are a delicate and lovely lady with a million dollar smile, and your hubby is pretty special too! I wish we had been able to spend a bit more time, but it's not easy at a show with so much going on...like fire alarms.
We just got home an hour ago, so I must go visit my critters right away, just wanted to say hello!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Shell,

How wonderful that you got to go and visit Jeri of Hopalong Hollow.
Her blog is one I love to visit too and yes, she is so very talented and beautiful, just like you.
Thanks for sharing your photos and so glad that you went home happy with all the lovely signed book, and beautiful work. We have a lot to thank blogging for don't we.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Sharon said...

Saturday was a perfect day! I was so excited to see you and meeting Jeri was the best! Both of you are such beautiful ladies.

Fiona said...

I did love reading this post and how awesome is Jeri's artwork.... such fun to meet both bloggers ... now you are home I am sure you have broken out into that happy bunny dance!!
Hugz

bunnits said...

What a wonderful time you must have had. Jeri's work reminds me of that of children's author and illustrator, Jan Brett, whose books my kids and I spent many happy hours reading and loving.

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Wow Michele you lucky girl! I am also a follower of Jeri's and Sharon's blogs and I would have been over the moon to meet them both!! I can hardly wait for your next post.
Tina xo

Sherri said...

Shell, you lucky, lucky girl!! What fun you all had. That lady's work is just fabulous!!

JudyCinNC said...

What a really fun adventure you had meeting your friends. I love her book. I visited her site and loved it there. Thank you so much Shell for the beautiful card - it really brightened our day. You are just the best friend. Judy C

Kris said...

What a wonderful day for all of you, Shell!!! Hey, I am only about 9/10ths of a continent away from you - when can I expect you to just hop over and say hi?? Hee! Hee!! Glad you had so much fun and Jeri's art is amazing!! I can hardly believe her original paper cuttings!! I agree - I LOVE my little blogging world!! And you are such a big part of it!!! Love ya, Kris

Shirley said...

Hi Shell, Your friend Jeri is amazing and the details of her work is awesome. We are so thankful to have friends like you here in blog land. You have a way of giving me a boost when I need it most. I just need more time so I can try all the wonderful things that I see here. It is getting cold, but so far that is all that it is. Have a great week. Take care Hugs from your Missouri Friend.

Barb said...

How fun!! I know you were in Heaven!!

N. Maria said...

Exquisite paper cuttings!
I agree about bloggers. I've met so many in person. I know you through blogland.....and it makes me happy!

Melody said...

Amazing work, you always introduce such talented people.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh, you were in heaven weren't you? She is a wonderful artist!! I am going to go check out her lovely blog now.

Sparky said...

what a delightful hop ....meeting, encounter and could not agree more....you bunny lovers are simply irresistible x

Lisa said...

Shell you are so lucky to get to meet so many blogger friends in person! And look at all that bunny art... I'm doign a happy bunny dance myself right now! LOVE the paper cuttings. Nice choice :)

(BTW, can you video the happy bunny dance sometime and post it on your blog?)

Carrie P. said...

Oh, how exciting for you to meet someone you admire. Her work is so neat. Love the cutout piece.

Sparklyjools said...

WantWantWantWantWantWantWantWantWant
WantWantWantWantWantWantWantWant......xxx

CHRIS said...

hEY Shell, what incredible work just when I think I've seen it all along comes Jeri. Thank you for sharing your meet with her. Chrisb xxx

Jo in TAS said...

Oh Shell, it sounds like a special day for you! I love the art work you chose and I love how Jeri signed your book!!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

I love your blog! :)

Rebecka said...

I love Jeri Landers art. It's beautiful. You really got some great things. I like your framed picture.

Mandy Saile said...

Ohhhhhhhh wow, her work is AMAZING, I am off to browse her blog and such now...thanks for sharing her work. P.S. your amazing to drive all that way to meet her...I had a solo show just a few months ago and even friends 5 minutes from the gallery couldn't be bothered to make an appearance! Seriously Shell, your a sweetheart.

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...