Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Doodle, Tangle, Stitch, Inspire

The post title sounds like some kind of dance move doesn't it? hee,hee,hee.

As promised, my blog posts will be a little longer, but only two days per week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). So, today I wanted to start by sharing something really fun and different with you. There are so many amazingly creative people and things out there. I, for one, love when my work inspires someone to play and see things in a different light. After all, we are all inspired by something. There is nothing new in the world. Everything is just a new interpretation.


Take for instance this little fella, who was made for me by Linda Livingston, a friend in my stitching group. Does he look familiar to you?


Linda took my Paul Penguin wool pattern and made him into a Zentangle penguin. Isn't that cool?!?


Linda also made this bunny for me. LOVE! Linda told me she sits at night watching TV and makes bunches of tangles. Have you ever made one? I haven't, but I find them fascinating and I think I might just have to try them. 


Next, one of my favorite Zentangle artists, well....artist in general is my friend, Jill Buckley of The Quilt Rat. Jill is one of those people who has many talents. She can draw, stitch, make paper cuttings and more. Her Zentangles are incredible.


Isn't he handsome?


Jill can even take a doodle design,

paint it on a piece of whole cloth and then quilt it!!!!



Jill's Zentangles have also been made into designs for machine embroidery.



Isn't this gorgeous? From Jill's doodle, to a tangle, to a stitch, 
 


which lead to this. Jill created this cat Zentangle on the left, which then inspired hand embroidery artist, Trish Burr, to create the embroidered cat on the right.


Trish contacted Jill asking permission to use the cat outline for an upcoming embroidery pattern. Jill was thrilled to participate and is looking forward to learning Trish's methods. What an honor and truly fantastic collaboration. I think they are both wonderful.


Trish Burr lives in Cape Town South Africa. She is an artist, author, gives workshops and has been published in various magazines.  Her embroidery work is stunning! 


So much detail in each piece.


This is her book.


I find her designs to be charming and delightful. They have such a sweet innocence about them. 


What's even better is how Trish was inspired by another artist to move out of her traditional work to create something new. What a fun interpretation.

So, are you ready to doodle, tangle and stitch from all this wonderful inspiration? I would love to know what you have done or are going to try. Please hop over and visit with Jill and Trish. I know you will enjoy your visits.

Light, love and blessings to you,
Michelle, the Bunnies and Sabrina kitty too.

20 comments:

Raewyn said...

Beautiful post! I've been amazed in the past with Jill's talent but how neat to see all this art all linking in to each other and all on one wonderful page! I haven't -yet- doodled this way - but it show's the fun in having a play and seeing where you end up!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just a wonderful display of talent - combined talent.

Anonymous said...

wow such beautiful drawings and stitching.xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My dear friend, I love your intro; it is music, such as the art of embroidery! ART is in everything we do, intertwined.

YOU and a few others have really been inspiring me lately to pick up those needles. I almost did this weekend but like I said earlier, found out I have no proper scissors!

I will be getting to it however, for it is a joy to think I'd be stitching along side of you, in spirit. LOVE TO YOU! Anita

http://thankfullga447 said...

Thank you for sharing, just beautiful.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I have taken a couple of Zentangle classes and enjoyed every minute. For a while I kept a notebook by my chair to "tangle" in every morning. The art of Zentangle improves your drawing skills and takes your mind to such a relaxing place. I am delighted to see the art included in sewing machine designs!
xo,
Deb

Anna said...

Those Zantangles are amazing and I also have gotten permission from Jill to recreate one of her bees into a embroidery piece I made for my own pleasure :) art is ever evolving! and you are at the cutting edge!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Wonderful artists--
I doodle alot--only--
mine look like....
smiles, di and miss gracie

Loris said...

So much beautiful art!
I sewed up Paul and Polly Penguin for a friend. Mailed them off without taking a picture :-/
They were so cute though and very fun to sew up. Will have to make some more. Thank you again for them :-) I love what Linda added to Paul's image!

Quilt Rat said...

Why is my face hot? oh....I am BLUSHING!!!! Thank you for the fabulous compliments and including my work (play)in this wonderful blog post.
I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to play with textile, needle, thread, pen and ink AND to be able to share it with our online community.
There are so many amazing, creative artists, designers in all mediums out there. How much fun is it that the Internet can instantly bring us all together.

Sparky said...

talent to share, talent to cheer about..all of them are lovely the cat is my fav....so lovely

Createology said...

Wonderful inspirations. Tangling is such an interesting process. I have tried it with NO success. These ladies are uber talented and their work is amazing. Creative Bliss...

RG said...

Ho boy - all that talent and work. I sort of have the doodle step coming along ...

Jeanette said...

They all look fabulous. Love the cat design & the embroidery done from it. Hugs,

Julieta said...

Very, Very wonderfully. Y loved!

Marge said...

Amazing! you gals are so talented. Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

Awesome post!!!! Hope you have started the New Year off with a triple bang!

QuiltShopGal said...

Inspirational post. I had not seen the zentangle machine embroidery before. Definitely want to play with such designs. Also inspired for more doodling.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Every single image makes me smile, Shell! What creative and inspiring work. Thanks so much for sharing.
xoxo
Donna and Tag

Deb said...

Wow, what amazing artists Michelle, thanks for sharing their incredible work. I've only done Zentangles once for some ATC's but it was very hypnotic and quite addictive, try it you'll like it!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...